The Timeline dates below are the Gregorian Calander, CE.
- 570 Birth of Prophet Muhammad, Makkah
- 610 Muhammad's first revelation
- 622 Muhammad & Muslims emigrate to Madinah; Year one of the Muslim Calender
- 630 Muslims return to Makkah
- 632 Death of Muhammad. Beginnings of Shia, the supporters of Ali bin Abi Taleb, Muhammad's son-in-law, and one of the first Muslims. The Sunni supported Abu Bakr, Muhammad's close associate.
- 656 Ali becomes caliph
- 661 Ali murdered by the Syrian Muawiyah. Shia sect developed. Umayyad caliphate established at Damascus by Sunnis with Muawiyah caliph.
- 680 Ali's son Hossein killed at Battle of Karbala. Shia formation completed.
- 691 Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem
- 711 Muslims enter Spain from Morocco
- 750 Abbasid caliphate established, Iraq
- 794 State- owned paper mills established in Baghdad
- 800 Harun al-Rashid embassy to Charlemagne
- 825 Kwarizmi writes concept of zero in maths
- 850 Early treatises on the astrolabe
- 900 Tales of 1001 Nights
- 1010 Firdowsi presents The Shahnama at Afghan Ghaznavid court, Persia
- 1258 Mongols sack Baghdad
- 1325 Ibn Battuta leaves Tangier for China
- 1370 Tamerlane rebuilds Samarkand
- 1429 Ulugh Beg completes observatory at Samarkand
- 1453 Ottomans take Constantinople, becomes Istanbul
- 1498 Vasco da Gama and his Arab navigator set sail from Portugal
- 1502 Persian Safavid dynasty established with Shia the state religion
- 1526 Mughal dynasty established in India
- 1722 Afghans defeat Persians.
- 1732 End of Safavid dynasty
- 1747 Afghanistan founded by Ahmad Shah Durani
- 1869 Suez Canal
- 1922 Ottomans end. Modern Turkey begins.
- 1932 Saudi Arabia founded
- 1967 Aga Khan foundation established
- 1970 Hasan Fathy's "Architecture for the Poor"
- 1978 Islamic Revolution in Iran, world's first theocracy
- 1979 Abdul Salam Nobel Prize for Physics
- 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
- 1983 Muhammad Yunus founds Grameen Bank, Bangaladesh
- 1988 Naquid Mafouz Nobel Prize for Literature
- 1998 Petronas Towers, world's tallest building, Kuala Lumpur
- 1999 Ahmed H. Zewail Nobel Prize for Chemistry
- 2001 Ahmad Shah Massoud assassinated
- 2001 World Trade Centre known as 9/11.
- 2011 Tarwakel Karman Nobel Peace Prize
O mankind! We created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other,
not that ye may despise each other. Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is here most righteous.
The Quran, Chapter 49 Verse 13.